Approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year. There are many known therapies and coping strategies out there that help us to deal with our mental health issues, but one that is less talked about is the use of crystals for alleviating the symptoms of mental illnesses.
Crystals have been used for many years in the practice of healing, and different types of crystals have various energies that emanate from each stone. These energies and properties can therefore be used to help cope with various mental illnesses and mental illness symptoms.
However please remember that this does not replace a doctor’s advice. Crystals can however be used in conjunction with your current treatment plan.
Here are a few crystals that can be used for mental health:
- Aragonite works on the emotional system, helping create balance and releasing painful stuck emotions. It also helps you confront painful feelings and embrace past wounds.
- Apache Tears is a great stone for healing grief and trauma.
- Rhodochrosite is a powerful stone for emotional healing. It helps you revisit painful childhood memories gently, heal the past, and reclaim the parts of yourself that you may have suppressed or disowned for emotional survival. It is also a stone of joy and nurturing.
- Rainbow Obsidian helps to get to the root cause of emotional distress in order to resolve it. It acts by being a bridge to bring Light into wounded and dark places, allowing them to heal.
- Snowflake Obsidian is good to use when you are feeling hopeless. It can help you regain your courage to persevere, and help you see opportunities you may have overlooked to improve your situation and it is helpful in enabling you to notice support that you may have missed or ideas or insights that could help you.
- Rose Quartz is a sweet and nurturing crystal. When you are feeling alone, afraid, or unlovable, Rose Quartz helps you to connect with universal love and self-love. It is like a gentle hug in a Crystal form.
- Blue Lace Agate can help to ease anxiety and can help you to feel calmer. It is a good Throat Chakra stone and helps you gently speak your truth and communicate effectively.
- Orange Calcite is a good all-rounder for mental health. This stone can help to battle against depression, and also combats fear and other negative emotions. It can also be used to cope with trauma, as well as a stone to aid in recuperation from a nervous breakdown.
- Smokey quartz is a stone that provides immense healing powers against depression. If you feel frazzled, this stone can work to ground your energy and channel the extra energy that’s in your chakras so that it’s eliminated from your body. The energy that’s left is only positive.
- Tiger’s eye is a good stone for various mental health issues. It can be used to battle against poor self-esteem, as well as mood swings. Tiger’s eye is known for its stabilising power, which is a good for helping with mood swings.
- Sodalite is often referred to as the stone of peace. It can help us calm the mind and ease panic attacks. It is helpful in preventing us from becoming overly wound up and emotional. It stimulates self-confidence and self-expression and gives us a sense of calm and helps us to release tension, anxiety and fears.