Last week was Mental Health Awareness Week, which was hosted the Mental Health Foundation. Kindness was the theme chosen this year to be talked about, and this is very fitting due to the current situation going on in the world.
Kindness, whether it’s showing others kindness or being kind to ourselves is good for our mental health and wellbeing and can even help to reduce stress and improve emotional wellbeing. Especially in the current situation, showing kindness is so important, whether that is helping a neighbour or spending time being kind to our bodies and minds. Kindness strengthens relationships, develops community and deepens solidarity.
Here at Cloud 9 Minds, we believe that showing kindness is very important and that we should show kindness in all aspects of life. Today however, we are going to look at ways in which you can be kind to yourself.
Lockdown is the perfect time to focus on being kind to yourself. Self care can improve our immunity, increase positive thinking and make us less susceptible to stress, depression, anxiety and other emotional health issues.
- Meditation – Meditation can help to improve sleep, so we quite often will meditate before bed so we get a good night’s sleep. It can also reduce stress and can help to control anxiety – as it helps to reduce feelings of worry, and helps to balance thoughts. It also generates kindness as it helps to increase positive thoughts and actions around yourself and others.
- Detox bath – We love a Detox Bath. Detox baths are great for when you feel overwhelmed or energetically drained. Using Himalayan bath salts and essential oils can eliminate any psychic debris you may have accumulated and leave you feeling energised again
- Food and Exercise – Exercise improves mental health by reducing anxiety, depression, and negative mood and by improving self-esteem and cognitive function. Exercise has also been found to alleviate symptoms such as low self-esteem and social withdrawal. Eating well is also really important, and now is the perfect time to start eating healthily as we have time to cook delicious meals for ourselves and our families!
- Gratitude – Showing gratitude is very important. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships.
- Morning journalling – As soon as you wake in the morning write three full pages in your journal. Just write anything and everything that crosses your mind. Don’t think, just write. Do this every morning and you will start to find messages in your writing, you will get clarity and your day will be more productive. Every so often go over what you have written and you will surprise yourself. This is like doing a brain dump and getting everything out.
- Sleep – Poor sleep patterns can have a negative effect on your mental health, so it is important that you get a good night’s sleep. It is important to make sure your sleep environment is comfortable and relaxing.
- Learn to say no – Saying no is something we need to learn to do. We need to have boundaries otherwise people will quickly over step the mark.
Check out our podcast on Being Kind here!